For many people, alcohol plays a huge role in the festive celebratory experience during the period from Christmas and New Years. It’s been ingrained in our culture that drinking and the holidays go hand in hand.
Many times increasing our alcohol consumption can put a damper on our holiday cheer. Whether it leaves us feeling weak, dehydrated and hung over; there's no doubt that alcohol can keep us feeling not our best.
It is possible though to enjoy the holidays to the fullest without being so tired dehydrated and drained from all the booze. With a few tips and a delicious mock tail recipe we believe you can still enjoy your holiday season this year without alcohol.
1. Have a buddy: Find a friend who would share this booze free experience with you. It’s more fun when you have someone to share the experience with and stay accountable to, and you will have each other to laugh or leave with, if you start to feel uncomfortable.
2. Keep your hands busy: Try to carry around a cup with a booze free drink in hand. This will avoid you from feeling tempted to accept a drink from friends or family.
3. Stay hydrated: Focus your energy on drinking as much water throughout the day instead of focusing your energy on all the alcoholic beverages around. Your body will definitely thank you the following morning when you wake up refreshed instead of hung over like all your friends and family.
4. Change your perspective: Instead of feeling like this is something you HAVE to do or something you're missing out on, change your perspective on the whole situation. Think of it as a way to get a head start into the new year. While all your friends and family start their new year off with a hangover, you will be starting the year fully energized and clear headed to take on all those new years resolutions you set for yourself.
5. Enjoy creating your own healthy mocktails: Get creative and make your own mixed non alcoholic drinks. We have a delicious recipe for you below that we know you're going to love!
We hope that you found value in these tips. But just remember the holidays should be a stress free time where you can recharge and reflect on the year. If you do end up having a drink or two, don't stress about it. Just make sure to hydrate and get back on track the following day. We wish you a happy and healthy holiday season! Best wishes from the whole ShedFat team!
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 12 ounce bottle kombucha (I love ginger or strawberry for this!)
4 ounces ginger beer
- fresh mint or basil for garnish
1. Place the blueberries and the honey in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the berries are bursting and juicy. Turn off the heat and add the blueberries to a jar or bowl. Top with the raspberries and add about 1/2 cup of kombucha. Muddle the berries with the kombucha until they are somewhat smashed.
2. Fill two glasses glasses with crushed ice. Add some of the smashed berry + kombucha mixture to each. Top with more kombucha, leaving a bit of room for the ginger beer. Top with the ginger beer. Add a bit more of the smashed berries on top and garnish with fresh mint or basil if desired.
3. Add ice to glass and pour in cranberry juice and sparkling water. Stir. Taste it now and decide if you want to add more juice or water. Garnish with cranberries, pomegranate seeds and a sprig of mint.